Thursday, June 18, 2009

Obama kills a fly...

OK, PEOPLE! let's wake up for a minute... Barack Hussein Obama, already a legend in America's history for being the first "black" man in the Oval Office. A great symbol for America and for the world, after 8 yers of scary "Bushism". He defeated Hillary Clinton inside the democrat Party, he won the run for the White House, and he is trying to lead his country into some real change. He is very much media friendly, he is handsome, articulate, charming, a great public speaker, and he has started to show the world he meant serious business. He is full of good intentions (sometimes failing to provide actual measures to make them come alive). He generated a public frenzy only Kennedy has generated in his time: OBAMANIA! Horray, he is the best President EVER (how hard can that be when you sit in the Office right after George W.Bush?), he is the best thing that happened in America since peanut butter (they seem to go nuts over peanut butter down there, go figure...)

Don't get me wrong, I am as far from an Obama hater as one can be. I became interested in him even before he presented himself, I followed this election like no other ever before, and the sign of change made me a believer that it could ACTUALLY come, like Sam Cooke once sang. But come on, people... COME ON! Obama kills a fly and it makes the NEWS!!??? The President of the United States of America kills a fly while being interviewed and suddenly THAT becomes more important than what he was saying? In these times of almighty media shaping the opinion of our sheep-filled planet, am I the only one thinking that DISTRACTION FROM SERIOUS MATTERS SHOULD HAVE ITS LIMITS???

A few hours of mouth to ear and thousands of youtube clicks later, all we know about his interview, the only words that everyone remember are:"i killed the sucker!" The anecdote itself is pretty irrelevant, it would have made me smile (as it did), but when I gave it a thought, I said to myself: "maaaan, this world is in serious trouble..." I wonder, like The Pixies did in their time, "WHERE IS MY MIND"? and most importantly, who is controlling it? I realize that a whole generation is growing up in this fast paced world and have known none other, like I luckily did. They don't read, they barely go to libraries to make research for their papers, they "google it" and "wikipedia it"; they don't watch the news, they watch youtube, or podcasts; they don't buy albums, they download shreds of it on iTunes; they don't seem to know how to get along without facebook, mySpace and twitter; cell phones have become an extension of their hands. This is life as we know it in the early XXIst century. And I should stop saying "they", because even though I had the chance to know something different, I am acting EXACTLY this way on a daily basis. And it freaking scares the shit out of me!
But hey, forget about it, did you check the video of Obama killing that fly? Awesome, man, great reflexes!
(these are now the ways of the world...)

1 comment:

p.h said...

Sometimes u should just let yourself gooo!!!