Friday, December 17, 2010

Bringing Love Letters back


"Dear fans, dear audience,

I Know it's been a while. A LOOOOOOONG while. You've probably wondered if I still had any in me at all. I have been through my share of trials (not a figure of speech) and tribulations, facing all sorts of legal issues, wether on the private or the professional level, beef, backstabbing and a lot of hating directed towards me. Still, I have been blessed with the ability to drop consistent albums every now and then.

I'm not going to backtrack my entire career one single at the time. Since "She's Got That Vibe", I have the feeling I lived a thousand lives. Things sped up to a pace that almost got the best of me. I am a Christian Man, and it's only fair I recognize I did my share of sinning. But what choice did I have? I have lived a hectic crazy life, I have been distracted from my true goals and spirituality. See, I truly believe I have been blessed. It would be unwise not to aknowledge such beautiful gift from the Lord. He gave me the ability to touch the hearts of Men. Through words, melodies, music. I have been growingly overwhelmed by the reactions of my public in live concerts, I may have lost focus and humility at times, but trust me, you would have too... I've sold out tours, had women throwing their panties AND themselves at me on stage, I felt empowered by al that love and energy. Which led me to misinterpret the global meaning of it all. I started making music a lot more to please the people, and less to touch their hearts. And by doing so, I was only partially pleasing them. Ok, nothing wrong with an occasional club banger or ego tripping song here and there, but the fire of vivid storytelling that put me in this position in the first place, I seemed to have lost it somewhere, somehow... The very core and essence of my feel good music was still there, though, it just didn't make the magic happen so often as before. I had to take some time out for focus, had a lot of growing up to do, a lot of righting wrongs to do. I wanted, needed desperately to make peace with some issues, before I was able to give back to you what I knew I could.

So here it is. "Love Letter" is my Redemption Album. A declaration of love to my audience, with whom I've been in this long term relationship. The longest relationship I've ever been in. Maybe you had the feeling that I got used to you, that I took you for granted. That I was not making efforts to keep you satisfied. It might have happened. For that, I apologize. Sometimes, all it takes is a handwritten, sincerity-fueled love letter to let you know the fire still burns in me. For you.

So, with this album, I take it back. Back to the essence of Soul. I dig inspiration in the legends, from Soulmen such as Marvin Gaye (his spirit has guided me through my best work along my career) or Ray Charles, to crooners such as Sinatra or Nat King Cole, another Messiah when it came to delivering heartfelt messages. I dropped it simply, yet effectively. I've put my sweat and work into it. I've put my heart into it. I've put my memories, my tears, my joys and pains into it. I've given the best I've given in years, because I didn't want you to listen to a good album with a couple classic songs. I wanted to give you a CLASSIC ALBUM. One you would dance and groove and cry and make love to in years to come. Relentlessly. I wanted it to be timeless, soulful, beautiful. Like the way I feel inside today. Because you have not left me down, it was my turn to return the favor. Thank you for sticking by me. Thank you for giving your boy Kels the opportunity to do it again. Because no matter how good I think this album is, it will not be a damn thing if you don't embrace it. So buy it. Download it (legally, please! Brother got a family to feed!). Borrow it. Listen to it. And again. And again. Feel it. I made it for you all.

Thanks for the unconditional love and support. Yours dearly,


Robert Kelly"

No comments: