Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Only thing we have to fear is fear itself



"(...) let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

When Franklin Delanoe Roosevelt pronounced these words, he was talking about the economical and political situation of the United States during the Great Depression. Little did he know (or maybe he did), this sentence can be used and applied to every single matter of our lives, one of which being undoubtedly the one of feelings... The very essence of love remains on the contradictions it brings up to the surface, namingly the happiness and bliss of loving and being loved versus the fear of losing it at any given moment... This can be the fuel for the dumbest things to happen, and once we let ourselves be overwhelmed by it, there are few chances we can ever mend it quite as it once was. Why does this fear exist and subsist, in spite of all common sense, and why does it lead us astray, towards the unthinkable path of destruction of self and of what we most cherish?

2 comments:

John tarace said...

That's the reason we should transform fear into a conviction that everything is always possible and that there are things that you can't control. The feelings of the one you're in love in is one of them...
I hope that's what you meant
Nach

Unknown said...

I really don't know what I meant exactly by this post... only that I was in bed, thinking about this sentence, and all that has happened in my life because of fears of all kinds and types, and I said to myself that it is not a way to live...