Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rise, Rose, Risen... And standing tall ALWAYS!


Mme Caillaud, my english teacher from high school, made me discover a life changing author: Maya Angelou. From her biography to her poetry, this woman has been an inspiration for me ever since I read her world famous "and still I rise".

Marguerite Ann Johnson was born in the late 1920's, lived and witnessed the struggle of african americans, went through extreme poverty, family dismemberment, various personal dramas (raped by her mother's boyfriend and muted herself in consequence), still was able to overcome all the hard times and cared enough to fight for others, who were in an even worse position than herself. She became a civil rights activist, a dancer, an actress, a poet, a well renowned writer (under the wing and guidance of James Baldwin): Maya Angelou was born!...

She took her suffering and that of others and turned it into words of hope, laughters of joy and pride. She has shown to be incredibly ressourceful to achieve her dreams and goals, live her life freely, and still is, to date, one of the most loved and respected women in America. I just wanted to take an opportunity to express my gratitude for her works, for her inspiration, on my behalf and all of those who had their lives touched by her words. Tupac Shakur, one of her best known fans, has written a lot of poetry, and here is one of my favorite poems by him, which describes exactly what I feel about you, Mrs Angelou:

The Rose That Grew From Concrete

Did you hear about the rose that grew
From a crack in the concrete?
Proving Nature's law was wrong, it
Learned to walk without having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping its dreams,
It learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
When no one else ever cared.

By Tupac Shakur

Thank you very Much Dr. Angelou for teaching me how to rise again... and again... and again! I too have got oil wells pumping in my living room!

artwork: Kevin A. Williams
https://www.blackartvisions.com/images/irise.jpg

1 comment:

P.h said...

C'est assez amusant que tu te souviennes de Mme.Caillaud, comme quoi il n a y pas qu'a moi qu'elle a fait bosser L'anglais...
Je connais ce poème de Maya, et je crois que c'est dans un de ses cours qu'elle me l'a fait lire...Je pense même que je l 'ai presenté au BAC!!!